MAIJ blog
MAIJ blog


Name: Portia
Location: Cardiff, United Kingdom
full profile

Magazine Links

TIME
Newsweek
The Economist


RECENT POSTS



Blogging and some more ranting...


Thanks to my online journalism course, I am now officially, a blogger. I am sure my friends back home are laughing. Me, the anti-blogger, who refused to admit that blogging is the hottest trend in the internet, now has a B-L-O-G.

It shouldn’t be that bad, really. Since I've always considered writing as a way to help put things in perspective. Maybe I just have to get used to putting my thoughts out here for everybody to read. Might feel a little strange, but I am, after all, studying to be a journalist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have no idea what to put in my first blog entry so pardon my unorginality as I talk about (rant about really) what my first month was like in Cardiff:

Starting my rant with my mobile phone, which used to pathetically define my life, has stopped beeping and ringing since I got to Cardiff. And then to say that the walls in my student house are peeling, my small room resembles a freezer and I watch TV in a very old fashioned way (where you literally have to hold the antenna for a signal). There are old socks in my closet and my Sunday now consists of cleaning up the fridge, and walking for hours just to get groceries.

Gone are the pampered days of sipping coffee at UCC and having oysters for lunch. Instead, I am gulping down instant coffee in my kitchen and eating frozen hamburgers for dinner. Where I used to have a nightlife is now replaced by unfashionably drinking beer at a friends place or in some pub, in jeans that I haven’t washed for three days.

It seems that in the last month, the last three years of my life have dissolved and I am back in college. Homework is my main concern, together with trying to make it in time for class. Junk food, which I haven’t craved for in almost three years is becoming my staple food. I am giggling and gossiping like a school girl and buying things like neon pens and floral notebooks.

I have spent many times in the past month staring at the ceiling in my room, wondering what I got myself into, how I could do student life all over again. And perhaps it seems that I am horrified about the state that I am in, but thinking again, maybe I am not. Once again, everything seems so easy and simple. I am admittedly incredibly dazed about the simplicity of student life. About how you can survive with just wearing jeans and a tshirt, eating cafeteria food for lunch, and simply making friends out of classmates.

My life as it seems has taken a sharp turn. Everyone back home may have to look twice to make sure its me, but strangely, I feel right at home where I am now. Maybe, enjoy this all while I can because in a years time, I will be back in the “real ” world. But then what is the real world really, because right now, this certainly feels like it is.


portia [ 9:56 AM ]